Friday, October 21, 2011

Back to Applique

 I've been out of town for a few days and was able to spend lots of time with my hexies but yesterday I was itching to get the appliqued medallion prepped for stitching.  Picking out the fabrics and watching an applique piece come together is probably my favorite part of quilting and I can really lose myself.  I finally decided to use these 3/4" flowers in a variation of the "Aunt Sarah" quilt in the Quilt Mania magazine No. 82.  I did change the medallion slightly and decided to try Broiderie perse (now I just know I spelled that wrong) with the flowers.  I love how it looks and can't wait to see it all appliqued.  As you can see I have glued up the whole block and have started stitching using the needleturn method.  I know it is a bit unconventional to glue everything down first, but it works for me!
Here is an idea of how it will look with the hexagons added.  Again I changed this from the pattern, eliminating the bottom row of hexagons to keep it more square. Yay, its half done.

Just for fun I put some half square triangles on the design wall to help me get thinking about some borders.  The pattern just has a straight border to finish off the quilt but I want to add a little more interest.  These triangles are left overs from another project, actually throw aways, and I am excited to think that I can use them for this project. I have about 300 of these and I am liking this so far.
Finally, here is the little pin cushion I made to go in my hexie sewing basket.  It is made with 1/2" hexies and was a fun little experiment.  I just love having my sewing accessories look as pretty as the project I am working on!
Happy Stitching 

13 comments:

Julierose said...

This applique medallion surrounded with the hexies is stunning!! Just love it...julierose

sunny said...

Oh my gosh! that is going to be soooo beautiful! I'm definitely starting over on my Aunt Sarah. Are you using a particular line of fabrics? Those can't all be coming from your scrap basket and looking that fantastic.

ritad said...

WON ~ DER ~ FUL !!!!!

Funoldhag said...

My dear, you have nailed this one!!! Perfect for the piece and perfectly beautiful!

Michelle said...

Keep it going, it looks fabulous.
Can't wait to see more!

Miriam said...

Your broderie perse centre is beautiful!

I can't wait to see this finished!

Lurline's Place said...

Soooo very beautiful!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Janet said...

What a gorgeous quilt this is going to grow up to be. I love the center and the hexagons are beautiful, love the steely blue fabrics.

Cheri said...

Heather this is beautiful! Great start, can't wait to watch your progress with this one.

Brandie said...

This is beautiful! I love all the little leaves. Going to be a gorgeous medillion block.

Rachaeldaisy said...

OOHHH I love this!! This is going to be such a stunning quilt!!

Oops-Lah said...

This is going to be a stunning quilt! Can't wait to see it "unfold"!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic blend of techniques! Some broderie perse, "normal" appliqué in the vine around the medallion, English paper piecing, pieced border...it all looks great, and together it looks even better. And despite what sunny commented, I suspect you shopped your stash for the fabrics. Incredible.

The matching pincushion, of course, is the cherry on top.