Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Recovery update

I haven't posted in awhile as I have very little stitching to show. So this is just an update on my recovery. First of all a huge thank you to those that have sent well wishes and kind thoughts. I thought I understood,before the surgery, how difficult this would be but frankly I was not prepared for the setbacks. While my back seems to be on schedule, the muscles that have not been used while I was suffering from sciatica pain are getting quite the workout these days and as a result I am suffering great muscle fatigue pain in my legs. It seems to travel from one muscle group to another with little or no warning so I have had 4 days where I could not stand still without extreme pain behind my knees and now last night and today my butt and hip muscles make getting in and out of a chair very difficult. And everyone says it will be a very long recovery, ha it already feels like forever and it is not yet 3 weeks. But it will be worth it if someday I am able to walk and play with this little guy.



This is my grandson Christopher and I so want to be able to share adventures with him as he grows. My inability to walk any distance the last few years has meant no stroller walks, no trips to the zoo or park. So as I look at this sweet little face I am reminded that my current frustrations will be worth it in the end.






And if all goes well he will soon be joined by a baby sister. My son and DIL have been matched for an adoption of a baby girl who is due Nov 7, my son's birthday! We are praying that all goes smoothly. Another strong motivator in my recovery! I so want to be there to help out when the time comes but sadly that looks unlikely as they are 6 hours away and right now I am not to travel in the car except to doctor's appointments.

I am trying to finish the blocks on a quilt I am making to hang in her room. This is the second to last block and is coming along slowly but surely.



And here are all the blocks on the design wall - pre surgery with many yet unstitched.



Not sure when I will be able to quilt it but I will just consider that to be more motivation to get better!


19 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope you get back to feeling well soon - it sounds like you need physical therapy for your muscles

Thimbleanna said...

One step forward, two steps back, it sounds like for a little while. Then, before you know it, it will be the opposite! Hang in there!

Oops-Lah said...

Sorry to hear about your setbacks. But just try to keep your "end goal" in sight. I'm sure it will be worth it to finally be pain free (you probably don't remember how that feels)!!! Your little chap is so cute and I'm praying that everything goes to plan with the adoption. Your blocks look lovely by the way!

Julierose said...

Oh so sorry to hear of your recovery woes!! I hope you are soon all better! I just love that little quilt you are working on...it is just so perfect for a little girl...hugs and best wishes, Julierose

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You definitely have sweet babies to motivate you. I'm praying for a speedy and less painful recovery for you.

Cardygirl said...

Gorgeous little quilt! You are doing really well in your recovery, the frustrating part is that it is not quicker! Maintain your focus and time will heal....take care!

audrey said...

Very sweet little quilt! Sounds like you have a lot of incentive to get better. Good luck with the next few weeks.:)

sunny said...

So sorry to hear of your challenges, but it will hopefully be worth it in the end. Congrats on the impending new grandie. What a beautiful quilt to welcome her!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Congratulations on the exciting news of a baby girl soon joining the family!! Playing with your grandchildren is great motivation and reward for being patient with your body and letting it heal properly. It might seem like ages now but one day it will be a distant memory. The quilt you are making is absolutely gorgeous!!

Barb said...

what a cutie your grandson is!
the blocks look great - hope your recovery goes fast!

Pat said...

So sorry to hear about the pain you are in and hope that things get better day by day. They say "This too shall pass". Hope it passes very fast for you. Your grandson is a real cutie and now a new grandaughter coming, how exciting. And she is going to have a beautiful quilt made by grandma.

Cheri said...

Take care Heather, and take it one day at a time. We don't heal as quickly as we did in our twenties. Congrats on the new grand baby, that and your grandson are indeed great motivation.

Funoldhag said...

So sorry that your recovery is taking more time than anticipated - but it will come and life will move forward and be good again. What a darling little grandson and now a little granddaughter to plan for. The quilt you are making for her is just awesome. No matter that it takes time to get it done - you will get there. Wishing you a speedier recovery, Heather. Carol

Judy Dietrich said...

You will be glad you did it now and did not wait. You are already closer to be healed and will be ready for grandma duty!!! Like you said, you are using muscles that were weak. Actually your whole back is probably moving differently. Hang in there & let us know what's going on

Helen said...

Each day is one step closer to reach your goals. Your grandson is gorgeous and will always be there no matter what age. Looking forward to seeing more progress on your stunning LE.

Maria said...

Your work is beautiful, Heather! That's one very cute grandson there too :-) I'm visiting from Crazy mom's Quilts as I saw you won the Giveaway...congrats and I bet you have fun making those bags!

Jane in Cumbria said...

What a sweetie! I totally understand that you want to play with him, and I hope it will not be too far off now!

Angie in SoCal said...

Prayers continue to be said for your recovery, Heather. What a cutie! So precious!! Love the darling quilt you are working on. Does it have a name?

Michelle said...

I had cervical spine surgery slightly more than a year ago. It's a slow process to recover, but if you do exactly what your surgeon says, it's possible. Mine told me it would take a year and it did.

Your quilt for your new baby Grand is just adorable!