Sunday, August 10, 2014

A fun surprise and more playing with batiks

First up I just have to share the fun little fabric basket that I received from my SIL in the mail this week. A few weeks ago I sent her a tote and some fabric and made a tote for myself. And look at the adorable basket she sent me - a perfect match to my tote!

I am using for my thread scraps on my handwork table. Love it!! Thanks Sherry. It is such fun having a quilting buddy.

I also finished the appliqué on my batik quilt. Though the lighting is bad in the photos, I love how it looks in the room.

I intend to change out the pillows and table runners in these rooms so this quilt will be perfect for this subtle pillow fabric.

And working with batiks got me thinking about a few more that I had in my stash. I have several in leaf colors that I have used in appliqué and With fall coming I wondered if I had enough to make a fall quilt for my daughter-in-law. She had casually mentioned some time ago that she would love a fall throw for their family room. I knew she wanted something that was not specific to any holiday and as I am Canadian, I thought perhaps a Maple Leaf quilt would be fun. I found a pattern on the Moda Bake Shop site for a Super Sized Maple Leaf Throw and started pulling fabrics. Here is my first test block. The pattern has no stem so I just drew a stem and hand appliqued it to the square before sewing the block together. The instructions were a bit confusing but I was able to make it work after a bit of trial and error.

I made several blocks and took them over to her house to check the colors in their room while babysitting. Unfortunately due to a comedy of errors that included showing my DIL photos on my phone, she saw something that gave the surprise away and we ended up just pulling the blocks out and throwing them on her couch to see how they look. Fortunately she likes it and we all had a good laugh about how I cannot seem to manage a surprise! Seven more leaves to make and arrange in a fun setting and I will get another quilt made using only my stash.

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

sunny said...

Cute little basket! I think I have that pattern, but I haven't made any yet. And your batik leaves are wonderful. I haven't worked with batiks, but they are perfect for those beautiful fall leaves.

Debra said...

Your applique block is gorgeous... it still has me thinking everytime I walk by my batik stash. :-) BTW - LOVE the color of the walls in your dining room. The fall quilt will be a beauty.

Julierose said...

Lovely applique with that pillow! Batik Maple Leaf is going to be just gorgeous! That is a nice pattern to show off the batik patterns.
Hugs, Julierose

Karen said...

Your batik quilt is stunning, the colors are perfect.

Jacky said...

Very pretty shades of blue in the appliqué work - the weather has been so wet and windy in the UK today - and your batik leaves are a reminder that autumn isn't far away x

Unknown said...

What a wonderful project ... your pillowcases looks so very pretty!
Interior Design

Janet said...

The tote and basket are lovely, lucky you. I think the applique is gorgeous in those colours and you're right, perfect for the room. At least you know the maple leaves are going to be a hit, looks like it's going to be perfect.

Karen said...

The colors in the bird piece are beautiful. Good choice.

Barb said...

Love the basket and tote...and I too love the colors.

Cheri said...

Those blues are perfect for your dining room wall color, very pretty. I really like batiks in appliqué.